07 October 2010

Seeing PINK

The country is going pink.  Every time I turn on the game, go to the grocery store, or scan my favorite celeb blogs, I'm seeing PINK!  

I've seen pink ribbon-laden snuggies, water bottles, cosmetics, candy bars--you name it! Honestly, a few years ago, I might have been completely oblivious to this colorful trend, but personal experience has made that pink ribbon a symbol of hope, strength, and even some sadness in my life.

If you know me, you undoubtedly know that I lost my grandmother to breast cancer in 2007, and that it was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with.  If you don't know me, know that I'm trying my hardest to work up the guts to fill you in on the whole story, and you might catch that in a later post.

What's important for you to know is that, while the color pink can make the concept of breast cancer seem powerful, feminine, and cuddly, the disease itself represents a harsh reality for a lot of people.  It can mean losing your hair, your breasts, and your feeling of feminity.  It can mean losing your physical strength and your independence. Breast cancer can mean losing your grandmother, your mom, your best friend.

For these reasons it is so important to raise awareness, raise money, raise your arms in the shower and do that self-exam!

For the month of October, I will publish a post at least a few times a week featuring ways you can do all three and contribute to the Power of Pink!

Stay tuned. Make a difference. Save Lives. Go PINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment